Friday, July 14, 2006

Selection 6 - The Epic of Gilgamesh

Reference: Wikipedia "Epic of Gilgamesh" Entry

Selection: Online at aina.org

A comparison of the Biblical and Sumerian flood stories. The author notes 20 items of similarity and I think 9 signifigant differences.

Update: I have decided to start posting my take on the selections in the main posts rather than in the comments section.

I just finished the Stephen Mitchell "translation" of Gilgamesh. It was the only one available when I bought it a few weeks ago. I have the feeling I should have held off the feel of the work wasn't right to me.

Overall this read like some homoerotic fantasy, two giant men fighting and then becoming soul-mates. I don't have a real problem with that but it just feels like something injected into the story. I didn't find the story itself very compelling although there did seem to be some foreshadowing of both Greek and Eygtian myths as well as the similarities that have been noted in the old testament. You could probably make this into a fairly decent movie, defiantely a better one than either Troy (the Iliad) or the Odyessy. I amy go back and read a deifferent version when I have the time.


Technorati tags: , , ,


No comments: